Museum of Koppio Smithy
Perfectly set amongst the beautiful slopes of Lower Eyre Penninsula, are the 2.5 sections of land of Koppio Smithy Museum. Integral to all touring arranges in the zone, it can be come to from any course with a charming commute through quiet nation of moving slopes and intriguing spots. It is definitely justified even despite your visit.
National Trust Volunteers have set up in the course of recent years, what is truly a town incorporating the range’s legacy and their work in gathering, exploring and restoring these structures, vehicles, hardware and relics has made a position of quality and astonishing enthusiasm for all ages. You enter this wonderful Museum truth be told, through the old nation store of 1910, which once remained in Liverpool Street, Port Lincoln.
Of noteworthy hobby is the Koppio School, manufactured in 1934 and the remnant of a dying breed on the Penninsula. In its single room, one instructor taught seven levels up till its conclusion in 1970, when it was transported more than 2 kilometers of street to the Museum, utilizing wooden sleighs and four tractors. Shown now as a verifiably outfitted classroom, it charms numerous guests. Likewise outfitted in genuine memorable style, is the 1890’s Pug and Pine Cottage, now delightfully restored from the disintegrating shell migrated from around 60 kilometers away.
The centerpiece of the Museum is The Blacksmith’s Shop, assembled by Tom Brennand in 1903 to administration the stallion and bullock groups of recently possessed homestead settlements. His “Smithy” and stone house speak to the wonderful soul of right on time Eyre pilgrims which can be experienced all through this glorious Museum.
So arrange a day at the Koppio Museum and appreciate the excursion – a tourist detour to some shocking re-accumulation.
The blacksmith’s shop and cottage was built by Thomas Brennand in 1905. This was the perfect place for a blacksmith as it was the crossroads to all of the district. Also being the local Post Office, it was a great gathering place. The Brennand Family donated 2½ acres of their farm to the National Trust. Locals restored the blacksmith and cottage and it was opened to the public in 1968. The museum has grown considerable over the past 44 years, thanks to a dedicated group of volunteers.
Inland from Tumby Bay, on an interesting road which twists and turns through dry, gently rolling hills, is the village of Koppio which is really nothing more than a few houses and huge, outdoor museum. The Koppio Smithy Museum gets its name from the fact that it is located on the site where a man named Tom Brennand built a cottage and a blacksmith’s shop in 1903. Today these two restored buildings are just a small part of a huge complex of historical buildings and machinery. There is the old Koppio school house (which has a range of exhibits including some old firearms and some interesting photographs), a magnificent old slab and daub hut called Glenleigh, a post, telephone and telegraph office, and a vast collection of restored tractors which is reputed to be the largest collection in South Australia.
The Koppio Smithy Museum announces itself as a ‘tractor display, harvest machinery, blacksmithing, rural school and a horse drawn vehicles and cottage’ which is a rather simple and bald description for a museum where an enthusiast could easily spend a day inspecting the wide range of exhibitions. The Museum is open from 10.00 am – 5.00 pm from Tuesday to Sunday.
The hills around Koppio are the catchment for the short, but vital, Tod River which runs only 40 km from its source to the coast.